News & Events
Ajinomoto Co., Inc. and Ajinomoto Eurolysine S.A.S. Obtain Final Judgment in Their Favor in the Patent Infringement Lawsuit regarding Feed-Use Lysine in the Netherlands
TOKYO (SEPTEMBER 29, 2016)
– The Court of Appeal of the Hague in the Netherlands has rendered its judgment in the patent infringement lawsuit regarding feed-use lysine initiated in 2013 by Ajinomoto Co., Inc. (“Ajinomoto Co.”) and its consolidated subsidiary Ajinomoto Eurolysine S.A.S. (collectively the “Companies”) against Global Bio-chem Technology Group Company Ltd. with its subsidiaries (collectively “GBT”). The judgment was in favor of the Companies and is now final.
In the first instance, the District Court of The Hague held that the patent owned by Ajinomoto Co. (EP 1 664 318) was invalid and dismissed their claims. However, the Court of Appeal of The Hague rendered a judgment on April 26, 2016, in which the lower court’s ruling was overturned. The Court of Appeals found that the patent is valid and that GBT infringed the patent. As GBT did not file an appeal against this judgment, the Companies have finally won the lawsuit. Offers for sale, sales, use and import of the infringing lysine product by GBT are prohibited until 2025, when the patent expires. Counterparts of the patent have been registered in 20 countries so far, including 10 in Europe in addition to the Netherlands.
The Ajinomoto Group has been making intensive investments in R&D to develop more advanced production technologies for amino acids and to contribute to the feed and animal nutrition industry as a leading global company in amino acids. The Ajinomoto Group believes that infringement of its intellectual property obstructs its R&D efforts and will therefore continue to pursue necessary measures to protect its legitimate rights.
OVERVIEW OF AJINOMOTO EUROLYSINE S.A.S.
(1) Name: Ajinomoto Eurolysine S.A.S.
(2) Location: Paris, France
(3) Established: August 14, 1974
(4) Representative: Daniel Bercovici, President
(5) Business description: Manufacture and sale of feed-use amino acids and their byproducts
(6) Capital: €27 million
(7) Equity ownership: Ajinomoto Animal Nutrition Group, Inc. 100%